Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) Ukraine” (WIUU) is a unique higher education institution (HEI) which is the first and the only joint university in Ukraine where education of bachelor and master students in administration, business and management is carried out in English and Ukrainian languages.
WIUU considers its mission the provision of modern business education to Ukrainian students according to Ukrainian business education curriculum and programs of leading American universities since its foundation in 1996-1997. One of the founders of WIUU was a well-known educator, missionary and pastor of the Lutheran Church USA Dr John Beech, who served for 17 years as a successful president of the famous University of Wisconsin Concordia – Concordia University Wisconsin (Mequon, Wisconsin, United States). Therefore the name of WIUU is associated with the name of the State of Wisconsin. The main goal of the newly established university was transmission of international standards of business education to Ukrainian youth and organization of this education and training in Ukraine (with the possibility of training and professional internship in economically developed countries).
As WIUU was established as an international university, studying at the American BBA and MBA programs takes place exclusively in English. Courses are taught by professors and lecturers from the universities of Wisconsin and Minnesota and other states of the US, English-speaking countries of the EU and other countries. Ukrainian cofounder of WIUU is M. P. Dragomanov National Pedagogical University (NPU), which formed a complex with WIUU and included it in its composition as a separate legal entity.
As American BBA and MBA programs were not licensed or accredited by the Ministry of Education of Ukraine, it was decided to create a pilot program by combining them together with Ukrainian program “Management of foreign economic activity”. During the process of education the entire cycle of BBA and MBA courses is taught entirely in English and the remaining disciplines necessary for inclusion into the Ukrainian program are taught in Ukrainian. As a result, Ukrainian and foreign students could receive degrees and diplomas of BBA and MBA programs (according to the American educational standards), as well as Bachelor and Master Degrees in “Management of foreign economic activity” (according to Ukrainian state educational standards) and Ukrainian state diplomas.
Over the years, many students, especially foreign students, began taking only BBA and MBA programs. Unfortunately, the Ministry of Education of Ukraine, and then the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine denied our institute in licensing BBA and MBA programs with English language of instruction. To confirm the quality of training and capacity of WIUU to teach students of BBA and MBA programs at the international standards level, WIUU invited the leading European accreditation agency in business education FIBAA* to analyze our training activities and determine their level. As a result, in 2012 and 2014 MBA and BBA programs of WIUU received FIBAA accreditation for a period of 5 years.
*The MBA program of Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) in Ukraine” was accredited by the Foundation of International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA) on September 27, 2012. WIUU’s BBA program was accredited by FIBAA on July 11, 2014 (http://www.fibaa.org/en/welcome-page.html).
Since WIUU admits students with a good knowledge of English language on a fee basis, focusing on individualization (rather than mass admission), the number of Ukrainian applicants has always been limited. In times before the demographic crisis (until 2003) WIUU had 300 to 400 students annually.
It is necessary to mention that WIUU does not take even a penny from the state budget, employs citizens of Ukraine (as its employees) and works exclusively on the basis of self-sufficiency. As the quality level of international education which WIUU provides is certified by FIBAA and 100% of employment of WIUU graduates in prestigious Ukrainian, joint and multinational companies, this fact serves as a rationale for the value and usefulness of WIUU in the system of the higher education in Ukraine.
WIUU emphasizes real philanthropy and charity in the process of education of Christian morality, ethics and citizenship in students. For example, WIUU students conduct real charity work helping children in rural schools and boarding school for children with mental and physical disabilities.
For example, students, administration and faculty of WIUU sponsored the following activities:
- computer room for 12 seats for secondary school (I-II levels) students in the village of Shapovalivka, Konotop district of Sumy region;
- computer room for 12 seats for secondary school (I-II levels) students in the village of Kuzmivka Sarnenski region of Rivne oblast. (Computers were connected to Internet);
- computer room for 12 seats for a boarding school in the village of Babanka Uman region (for children with mental and physical disabilities);
- Three computer labs for a total amount of 40 students for secondary schools number 1 and number 2 of the city Ukrainka of Obukhov district, Kyiv region (computers were connected to Internet).
Students and employees of WIUU also provide practical assistance to the boarding school(village of Babanka, Uman region), and together with charity fund “BLAHOMAY” they assist the boarding schools of Kiev region.
Attention needs to be drawn to the following facts:
- Throughout the period from 1997 to 2015 WIUU has educated more than 5000 students, and English school trainees, among whom – more than 2035 of foreign students;
- Since its inception, WIUU has trained more than 500 master-level MBA students from among the senior Chinese officials;
- WIUU runs English school for university applicants, students and citizens of all ages.
WIUU works in conjunction with the National M. P. Dragomanov Pedagogical University, which provides overall scientific-methodological guidance of the statutory activity of our institution, provides the necessary logistical and intellectual resources, fruitfully cooperates with WIUU in the educational and scientific field;
NPU is a co-founder of WIUU, and WIUU is its separate structural unit with legal rights (which is reflected on the site NPU);
WIUU develops 4 research topics which are registered at the Ukrainian Institute of Scientific-Technical and Economic Information.
- The title of the first topic is “Research and implementation into the educational system of Ukraine of the theory and practice of entrepreneurial activity of higher education institutions of the leading countries of the world” (the leader of this topic is the Doctor of Economic Sciences, the Doctor of pedagogical Sciences, Professor Romanovskyi O.O.). The state registration number of this topic is 0112U001691.
- The title of the second topic is “Leadership in business and education and its role in the national socio-economic development” (the leader of this topic is the Doctor of Economic Sciences, the Doctor of pedagogical Sciences, Professor Romanovskyi O.O.). The state registration number of the topic is 0113U002092.
- The tile of the third topic is “Issues of Effective Management of foreign economic activity in Ukraine in the conditions of intensification of integration processes” (the leader of the topic is the Doctor of Economic Sciences Grebelnyk O.P.). The state registration number of this topic is 0113U002091.
- The tile of the fourth topic is “Humanitarian Studies” (the director of this topic is Doctor of Philological Sciences Malinska N.A.). The number of the state registration of this topic is 0113U002090.
In the 2013 ranking of private universities in Ukraine, WIUU was ranked the 14th among the 76 private universities.
As of 15/01/2015, WIUU received four licenses from the Accreditation Commission of Ukraine for education of bachelor level and master level students; for continued education; for training of foreigners and stateless persons according to the accredited areas (specialties). The licenses for different applications are valid until 2016, 2018 and 2019.
During the last two years, MBA and BBA programs (Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration) at WIUU were accredited for 5 years by the leading European Accreditation Agency Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation (FIBAA), which is recognized by Ministries / Departments of Education of Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, and CHEA (USA);
On February 27, 2015 WIUU became the first in Ukraine educational member of the American Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs ACBSP **
** Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) is a well – known American Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs. It is a leading specialized accreditation association for business education supporting, celebrating and rewarding the best practices of teaching and pedagogical skills. Association combines the advantages of good teaching experience, teaching skills and emphasizes to students that it is important to learn how to learn.
ACBSP accredits programs in business, accounting, and other business-related programs at the associate’s degree, bachelor’s, master’s and doctorate. It is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation United States (CHEA). ACBSP was the first organization that offered specialized business accreditation of all levels in the US and around the world (www.acbsp.org).
It should be noted that during the 17 years of its operation, WIUU was recognized both in Ukraine and internationally. For example:
- On March 28, 2014 European Foundation “For Service to Europe” (Mérite Européen) awarded Wisconsin International University in Ukraine (Kyiv) with an honorable Mention for merits in uniting European nations of Europe in Freedom – Peace – Brotherhood;
- On December 29, 2009, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine awarded the team of Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) in Ukraine” with an honorary diploma for its significant contribution to the development of education, the introduction of modern methods of training and education of young people;
- In 2008, the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine awarded the team of Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) in Ukraine” with an honorary certificates for many years of hard work and contribution to the training of highly qualified specialists and fruitful scientific -pedagogical work and high professionalism;
- In November 2011, the German-Ukrainian Society of Economy and Science (Mainz, Germany) awarded Wisconsin International University in Ukraine (WIUU) with the Certificate of Merit for exemplary cooperation for strengthening of relationships between Ukraine and Germany;
- On April 4, 2013 Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) in Ukraine” (WIUU) was listed into the State Register of scientific institutions, supported by the state, which confirms the high status in WIUU research activities;
WIUU is a member and is actively involved in the activities of the American Chamber of Commerce in Ukraine, Association of educational institutions of Ukraine of private ownership. WIUU is a representative of the German-Ukrainian Ukrainian Society for Economics and Science (Mainz, Germany) and cooperates with leading universities in Ukraine, USA, UK and Germany.
Staff and students of WIUU are proud of the fact that during the Orange Revolution of 22.11-26.12 2004, before the start of the second round of presidential re-election, it was WIUU (the only university in Ukraine!) which gave the stage to the US Ambassador to Ukraine Mr. John Herbst to express the US’ Government’s position and appeal to the Ukrainian community and the international community on the situation in Ukraine.
In the conditions of demographic crisis, the exodus of young college age students abroad, corruption and profane of learning in many state educational establishments, WIUU is trying to maintain the quality of European education and provide students with democratic higher education in Ukraine.
The team WIUU – a truly international institution – made its decision long ago about the need for existence and further development of this unique institution where students are taught in English according to American university bachelor or master programs of business administration (BBA and MBA); where the total number of students should be limited to 500 persons, and the quality of education does not depend on the number of students; where there is no place to plagiarism, cheating, retaking of examinations; where there is a long history of intermediate tests and integrated assessment; where American and European credit-scoring systems are used; where there is no unlicensed software; and where students are actively involved in social and public life.
WIUU possesses adequate number of highly qualified faculty for effective organization of the educational system. Furthermore, it invites business leaders, businessmen, top managers of international and Ukrainian companies to conduct workshops and practical training. Professors, teachers and researchers of M.P Dragomanov National Pedagogical University and other leading universities and research institutions of Ukraine take an active part in the educational process and scientific activity WIUU.
There are many Guest Professors and Guest Lecturers from the US, UK, Germany, Austria and other countries among the faculty of WIUU. Students of the institute always have internship and included professional practice and training in well-known European universities, companies, and banks. Graduates of WIUU work in leading international companies in Ukraine and adequately represent Ukraine in foreign and joint organizations.
Education and scientific activities, vocational training, and moral and ethical education of youth in WIUU are conducted by full-time and part-time professors and instructors as well as regular foreign guest lecturers ***. Among them are:
- Romanovskyi, Oleksandr O.– Rector, Doctor of Economics, Doctor of Education, Candidate of Technical Sciences (email@example.com)
- Romanovska Iuliia Yu.– First Provost, Professor, Candidate of Philology (Ph.D.) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Grebelnyk, Oleksandr P. – Provost, Professor, Doctor of Economics (email@example.com)
- Olga Verkhohlyad – Provost, Professor (PhD) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Romanovska Oleksandra O.– Provost, Professor, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences (PhD) (email@example.com)
- John Buuck – President of WIU, President of WIUU (retired), (PhD) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mohyla Oksana A. – Provost, Professor, Candidate of Philology (PhD) (email@example.com)
- Mirzodayeva Tatiana V.– Dean, Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences(PhD) (firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Kondratenko Lyibov I.– Associate Dean, Associate Professor, Candidate of Pedagogical Sciences (PhD) (email@example.com)
- Volovyk Olena I.– Dean of International Programs, Honorary Doctor in Applied Mathematics and international business (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Havriliaka Gennady V.– Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD), Associate Professor (email@example.com)
- Buryak Glib S. – Associate Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Uniyatova Olga A.– Associate Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (email@example.com)
- Malins’ka, Natalia A.– Doctor of Philology, Professor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ishchuk, Lesya M.– Senior Lecturer, Specialist in International Philology (email@example.com)
- Zaporozhets, Andrew V.– Senior Lecturer, MBA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Nadtochyi, Vladislav O. – Senior Lecturer, MSc (email@example.com)
- Glazova, Olga A. – Senior Lecturer, Specialist in International Philology (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Smolin, Igor V. – Professor, Doctor of Economics (part-time) (email@example.com)
- Ivanenko, Valentyna – Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences, (PhD) (part-time) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Serova, Luidmula – Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (part-time) (email@example.com)
- Grigorak, Mariya – Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (part-time) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Galyik, Viktoria – Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (part-time) (email@example.com)
- Hryschenko, Andrew – Professor, Candidate of Economic Sciences (PhD) (part-time) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Drobot, Andrew – Senior Lecturer, MBA (part-time) (Amrock2@gmail.com)
- Mohamed Talaat El Saied El Mahdy – Senior Lecturer, Master in innovative Economics (part-time) (email@example.com)
- Sunil, Sharma– Senior Lecturer, Doctor of Philosophy in Economic Sciences (Ph.D.) (part-time) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Essien, Patricia – Lecturer, BBA, MBA candidate (part-time) (email@example.com)
- Doss Hansjuergen, – Professor, PhD, permanent guest – Professor (Germany) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Mara Sykholutska – Professor, Candidate in Philology (PhD), regular guest – Professor (USA) (email@example.com)
- Christensen Marshall, – Professor (PhD), regular guest – Professor (USA)(Marshall@co-serve.org)
- John Johnson – professor (PhD), regular guest – professor (USA)(firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Motitz Hunzinger – Professor, PhD, regular guest – Professor (Germany) (email@example.com)
- Peter Spary – professor, PhD, regular guest – Professor (Germany) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Adalbert Lhota – Professor, PhD, regular guest – Professor (Austria) (email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Axel Haas – Professor, PhD, regular guest – Professor (Germany)(email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Michael Ruiss – Professor, PhD, regular guest – Professor (Germany) (email@example.com)
- Hendrick Doss – Professor, PhD, regular guest – professor (Germany) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Lars Hoffmann – Senior Lecturer – regular guest (Germany) email@example.com
*** Regular guests are defined as professors and instructors who lecture to the students and faculty of the WIUU, conduct workshops, organize professional internship, case studies, interactive sessions and distance learning courses for WIUU students.
Among the honorary doctors of WIUU are such persons as the US Ambassador John Herbst (2003-2006), the Director of the United States Peace Corps in Ukraine (2001-2007) Karl Beck, the Director of the UN Information Centre in Ukraine Douglas Gardner, Honorary Consul of Ukraine in Germany Dr. Hansjuergen Doss, German Ambassador to Ukraine (retired) Dr. Dietmar Stüdemann, Dr. Kenneth Gray (twice our American Dean who, incidentally, opened Kyiv-Mohyla Academy Master’s programs) and many friends, partners from around the world. Academician Leonid Rudnytsky has spoken to students at WIUU with lectures and initiated cooperation between WIUU and Ukrainian Free University (Munich), US universities – La Salle (Philadelphia) and Urbana Champaign (Illinois) and with German-Ukrainian Society for Economics and Science (Mainz, Germany).
WIUU is sincerely grateful for the support, cooperation and friendship of many years of such well-known foreign state, political and public figures, scientists, teachers, professors and doctors who are colleagues and friends of WIUU as: Alex Alexandrov, Carl Beck, Michael Bedwell, Özlen Birol, Jörn Block, Bonnie Boring, R.John and Lyla Buuck, Ed Cocks, Hans-Jurgen Doss, Hendrik Doss, Bill and Dorothy Ebel, Yunus Emre, Olena Etokova, Lee Feng, Duglas Gartner, Kenneth and Kristina Gray, Axel Haas, John Herbst, Stephen Hock, Lars Hoffmann, Alex Hoponiv, Moritz Hunzinger, Günter Jertz, Boyd Johnson, John Johnson, Timothy Johnson, Nadja Jost, Paul Kervin, Albert Kippa, Wolfgang Klee, Nick Kiritis, Marchall Kristensen, Katherine Ledesma, Tomas and Walter Leibrecht, Adalbert Lhota, Hartwig Lorenz, Gennady Lyekir, Nicole Macho, George Markey, Roger McMurrin, David McNamee, Margaret Nobel, Jonathan Pernick, Vladimir Petlenko, Jelena Pivovarova, Leo Rudnytzky, Michael Ruiss, Elaine Sarao, Stephan Schupbach, Siegfried Seip, Nick Shafowal, Paul Shotsberger, Peter Spary, Friedel Stauß, Dietmar G. Stüdemann, Mara Sukholutskaya, Jeannie Tabb, Slavisa Tasic, Denny and Branko Torbica, Peter Wadle, Brion Wozniak and others.
WIUU appreciates sincere long-term cooperation with Ukrainian and American Lutheran Church(ULC), personally with the pastor of ULC, Doctorof Theology, Vyacheslav Horpynchuk; employees of American Council (American Resource Center) at the US Embassy in Ukraine; employees of the British Council in Ukraine and representatives of the Embassy of Germany in Ukraine and Goethe Institute.
For many years WIUU cooperates with universities and colleges in the USA, Germany, UK, China, Kazakhstan and other countries which send us their instructors and students and accept our students and instructors for study and continued education.
For the past few years WIUU fruitfully cooperates with the Company Al Ain National Projects (UAE, Abu Dhabi) concerning distance learning for employees, enhancing their knowledge and training in International Business and Management fields.
WIUU respects its students and is proud of its graduates who studied diligently and have opened their own business or were hired for prestigious positions in leading Ukrainian and international companies, banks and enterprises. Alumni and staff of WIUU are the golden fund of the Institute, and for them WIUU will defend the honor of the university to victory.
WIUU firmly supports the initiatives of the Government and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine in restoring order in the national university network with the goal of eradication of such unethical behavior as “diploma mills”, “paper” universities, bribery, corruption and profanity from the system of national higher education.
For many years the team of employees and students of the Ukrainian-American Liberal Arts Institute “Wisconsin International University (USA) in Ukraine” has been justifying the value and necessity of the presence of WIUU in the higher education system of Ukraine and has received deserved international recognition.
This press release was prepared by the Rector of WIUU Professor Romanovskyi on behalf of the team of WIUU: its faculty, staff, students, their parents and graduates.
Kyiv, March 6, 2015